Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Poem. "Flight."

One of the symbols that God has given me for my life in Christ has consistently been my "wings." I know when I'm soaring in His Joy because my "wings" feel open and free to fly and soar and go places. I love that sense of exhilaration in the Spirit, knowing that I'm led by Him.

All that being said, flying is scary. The image here is not as much about flying, but about standing on the edge of a cliff, ready to fly, but waiting for the wind. I can jump, I can take risk, without the Holy Spirit... but if I do so, I will fall and hurt myself.

But if I wait for that Wind... Then I can take that risk, and the most beautiful things can happen.

Once upon a summer sky – in open air I stood by
      a vast expanse of sweeping green
      of trees and horizons yet unseen
With heart wide open and lightly-sealed lips – I stood atop a precipice
      inclining on the Voice that led me there.
 
It seemed so long and I grew cold – I felt as though I had grown old
      and that tree and squirrel were passing my stage
      and the world around me went from age to age
With heart reluctant and frozen lips – I stood atop a precipice
      waiting on the Voice that led me there.
 
Yet soon altogether, with great surprise! – spring awoke and brought the sunrise!
      a light wind tapped along my skin
      and I knew that now was time to dive in
With heart unlocked and smiling lips – I jumped out from my precipice
      falling on the Voice that led me there.
 
Wings spread open, arms stretched wide – my descent quickly turned into a glide
      but without risk can there ever be flight?
      (Like can day exist without the night?)
With heart flying free and laughing lips – I soared beyond the precipice
      flying by the Voice that led me there.
 
(10/24/13)

No comments:

Post a Comment