Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Poem. "Solitude & Silence."

Today I spent some time at my favorite coffee shop in Macoupin County, but I was a little vexed for a moment because of a multitude of distractions. When I feel quiet, I like to be quiet, and, yet, the world around me isn't quiet.

But that's alright, actually, because I think I discover silence more easily in the midst of noise. I can still and quiet my own soul in the midst of clashes and clangs.

There's something deeper there too... But I'm alright with leaving it at that.

I feel quiet this afternoon
where silence sinks into my bones
and solitude stills me.
The constant hubbub and
      sussurrating of life
      noiselessly drift by unnoticed
as I lift my headphones
      and close my eyes.

That is to say, noise isn’t absent
but ignored and left aside
like an unwanted gift or unsavory fruit.
It floats in and out
      a tide of sound yet
      noiselessly it drifts by
as I turn my attention
      to a world other than this.

Yet silence is not escape
like isolation is, which removes
man from the world God made.
Rather, it is a retuning and
      turning of the ear
      noiselessly drifting by
as I open my heart
      to another Voice.

(11/19/13)

No comments:

Post a Comment